We welcome your views on our website and invite you to take part in a brief survey when you've finished your visit.
Your response will help us improve the site and the experience we offer to visitors.
Some of the principal treatments carried out by Dr Dhiraj Gupta at Spire include:
Curative catheter ablation for Atrial Fibrillation
Left atrial appendage Occlusion for stroke prevention in Atrial Fibrillation
I am a consultant cardiologist/ electrophysiologist at the Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital (LHCH) since 2007. LHCH provides a regional electrophysiology (EP) service to a population of 2.8 million, and is the largest cardiac center in the United Kingdom. I have gained national repute for my expertise in treating patients suffering from Atrial Fibrillation, and in 2014, I was awarded the Arrhythmia Alliance Excellence in Practice Award for ‘Outstanding Individual who has contributed to Arrhythmia Services’. I am a very high volume operator in interventional EP, and have performed over 200 AF ablation cases annually since 2009. I am the trust lead for Left Atrial Appendage Occluder (LAAO) Service. I proctor cardiologists nationally and internationally, and have been awarded NHS Clinical Excellence Awards in 2010, 2014 and 2015.
I work closely with the British Heart Foundation to provide education and training to their staff nationally. I am member of the Medical Advisory Committee of the national charity, AF Association. I have held the position of Senior Lecturer at Imperial College London since 2011. I am the primary supervisor for three MD (res) students at Imperial, and also assess the progress of other Imperial Students working towards higher research degrees. I am the Chief Investigator for three multi-centre AF ablation trials (PRESSURE, SMANPAF, and PRAISE). I have been elected to the Council of British Heart Rhythm Society in Oct 2015 for a term of three years, and as a council member I help shape national UK guidelines and policies related to arrhythmia care.
To date, I have performed over 2000 AF ablation cases, and my results are on par with the very best in the world. My strong emphasis on patient safety and AF ablation procedural quality has been the subject of 2 theses that I have supervised and have formed the basis of several peer-reviewed publications in scientific journals. I am also the trust lead for Left Atrial Appendage Occluder (LAAO) Service, and our hospital is one of only 10 sites selected nationally by NHS England as part of the Commissioning through Evaluation (CtE) program. Because of my extensive experience in this LAAO implantation technique, I proctor cardiologists nationally and internationally as they start on this procedure locally.
Awards and Honours: October 2014: Arrhythmia Alliance Excellence in Practice Award for ‘Outstanding Individual who has contributed to Arrhythmia Services in the United Kingdom’ awarded at Heart Rhythm Congress, Birmingham. October 2014: My research fellow won the Young Investigator Award in the clinical category at the Heart Rhythm Congress, Birmingham. Sep 2014: PCAF service won the Quality in Care winner of the ‘Anticoagulation Innovation of the Year Award’ at British Medical Association House, London. June 2014: PCAF service was the winner of the ‘Innovation in Cardiac Pathways’ competition at the British Cardiac Society Sessions, Manchester. Nov 2014: I have been invited to speak at the All Parliamentary Group on Atrial Fibrillation meeting at Westminster to share our experiences of engaging with primary care
Don't suffer death by armchair!
FRCP (UK) / Royal College of Physicians, London / 2012
Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians
FRCP is conferred on senior physicians who have practised as a substantive consultant for over 5 years
British Cardiac Society
British Heart Rhythm Society
Royal College of Physicians
British Medical Association
I am member of the Medical Advisory Board of the AF Association UK.
I am elected member of Council for the British Heart Rhythm Society.
I am the regional lead for the Left Atrial Appendage Occlusion service UK.
Heart Rhythm Alliance
Consultant Cardiologist / Electrophysiologist: The Liverpool Heart and Chest HospitalBack to top
I am an avid researcher with over a 100 scientific publications.
I am on the journal review board of high Impact Factor Journals such as Heart, Journal of the American College of Cardiology, and Europace.
1. GJ Wynn, ..., D Gupta. Long term outcomes after ablation of persistent atrial fibrillation: an observational study over 6 years. Open Heart 2016; 3(2):e000394. doi: 10.1136/openhrt-2015-000394
2.M Das,..., D Gupta. Ablation Index, a novel marker of ablation lesion quality: prediction of pulmonary vein reconnection at repeat electrophysiology study and regional differences in target values. Europace 2016 May 31. Pii:euw105
3. W Ullah, A McLean, M Tayabjee, D Gupta, ..., RJ Schilling. Randomised trial comparing pulmonary vein isolation using the SmartTouch catheter with or without real-time contact force data. Heart Rhythm 2016; 13(9):1761-7
4. M Das,..., D Gupta. Re-ablated sites of acute reconnection after pulmonary vein isolation do not predict sites of late reconnection at repeat electrophysiology study. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2016;27: 381-9
5. M Das,..., D Gupta. Primary Care Atrial Fibrillation (PCAF) Service: Outcomes from Consultant-led anticoagulation assessment clinics in the Primary Care setting. BMJ Open 2015;5:e009267 doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2015-009267
6. G Wynn,....,D Gupta. Biatrial linear ablation in sustained non-permanent AF: Results of the Substrate Modification with Ablation and antiarrhythmic drugs in Non-Permanent Atrial Fibrillation Trial. Heart Rhythm 2016; 12(2):399-406
7. M Das,..., D Gupta. Recurrence of Atrial Tachyarrhythmia during the Second Month of the Blanking Period Predicts More Extensive Pulmonary Vein Reconnection at Repeat Electrophysiology Study. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol 2015: 8: 846-52
8. G Wynn,....,D Gupta. A novel marker to predict early recurrence after atrial fibrillation ablation: The Ablation Effectiveness Quotient. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2015; 26: 397-403
9. G Wynn,....,D Gupta. A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Evidence from Randomised and Non-Randomised Controlled Trials. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2014; 7: 841-52
I am a keen cricketer, although more of the armchair variety of late.
I have a passion for travel and recently the cruising bug has got to me (a bit earlier in my life than I had hoped!)
|Telephone||0151 929 5181|
|Private secretary||Mrs Sharon Ngai|
|Private secretary telephone||07710233815|
|Private secretary fax||01516001696|
|Private secretary firstname.lastname@example.org|
24 September 2018
At Spire Hospitals we work with a number of leading orthopaedic consultants, specialising in the treatment of spinal con…