27 July 2017
There are many ways in which women can optimise and enhance their fertility potential and here are some useful tips:
- Keeping BMI (body mass index) in check. Being either underweight or overweight can influence fertility potential and getting pregnant becomes increasingly difficult in either situation, hence it is vital to maintain a healthy balance. Diet and BMI both play important roles in the proper functioning of the female reproductive systems. Women who are either overweight or underweight are less likely to conceive when compared to those who have a BMI of between 18 and 25.
- Excessive alcohol is hazardous for health as well as for fertility and should be limited when trying to conceive. Although higher levels of alcohol should be avoided when trying to get pregnant, there is no evidence to show that moderate alcohol consumption adversely affects fertility.
- Excessive caffeine intake can also lead to fertility-related problems. It is not recommended to have more than a couple of caffeine-containing drinks a day if you’re trying to become pregnant and less than 200 to 250 milligrams of caffeine a day is best.
- Be aware of your fertile days. Keep a check on your basal body temperature and ensure that ovulation is taking place each month.
- Excessive stress can negatively affect the fertility quotient of women, so try to keep stress levels down. Meditation may help with this.
- Adequate rest is also important. An irregular or erratic sleeping cycle can cause fertility problems.
- Smoking should be avoided. It has a negative impact on your overall health and also reduces your ability to get pregnant. The carcinogens in cigarettes are harmful to eggs and also reduce the chances of pregnancy
- A holistic diet, full of essential vitamins, is beneficial for fertility. A diet rich in mercury (found in some seafood) can be associated with infertility.
It is easier and better to maintain a healthy lifestyle than to undergo infertility treatment. So stay healthy and enhance your fertility prowess.
Written by Mr Luciano Nardo. Mr Nardo offers outpatient consultations and diagnostic services at Spire Manchester Hospital. Fertility treatments would be carried out offsite.
Luciano Nardo is a consultant gynaecologist specialising in reproductive medicine. For more information or to book an appointment with Professor Luciano Nardo, please call 0161 447 6700.
The content of this article is provided for general information only, and should not be treated as a substitute for the professional medical advice of your doctor or other health care professional.