12 September 2018
We caught up with consultant dietitian. Dr Pender to find out what his top tips are for returning to normal eating after an over indulgent holiday.
- Restock your fridge and cupboards with the good stuff including lean proteins, low fat dairy, fruit and vegetables.
- Eat regularly again, as holiday eating tends to be erratic as a result of more relaxed and unfamiliar eating.
- Get back to usual portion sizes, these may have been large as a result of half or full board packages or all-you-can-eat dining.
- Start a juicing campaign - have one every day to replace breakfast (imagine this is a cocktail). Keep up with your clear fluids - aim for at least 2 litres each day, as your fluid balance on holiday is usually way off the mark.
- Make activity fun - get back to regular exercise: Zumba, Clubbercize classes (holiday expenditure is likely to have been less than usual).
- Get plenty of sleep and routine - lack of sleep activates the hunger hormones.