Dr Maggie Bellew
Consultant clinical psychologist
BA(Hons) MSc PhD CPsychol AFBPsS
I am a consultant clinical psychologist, with both a consultant NHS post and a private practice. I have chartered clinical psychologist status and also chartered health psychologist status.
I am an associate fellow of the British Psychological Society and am registered with the Health Professions Council.
I undertook my clinical training in Leeds and have worked for many years within the Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust.
The service provided includes a range of psychological assessments and interventions, undertaken mainly within a cognitive behavioural framework (CBT), for both children and adults.
Patients come and see me for a variety of difficulties. These include stress, anxiety, phobias, OCD, depression, eating disorders and appearance related issues, as well as issues related to their physical health and those arising from congenital anomalies, disease and traumatic injury.
Some of the principal treatments carried out by Dr Maggie Bellew at Spire include:
Spire Leeds Hospital is only able to provide Covid-19 tests to patients undergoing surgery at our hospital. Covid-19 testing or antibody tests are not available as a standalone service.
BA (Hons) / University of Keele / 1985
Joint Honours in Biology and Psychology
PhD / University of Keele / 1990
Doctor of Philosophy in Pyschology
MSc / University of Leeds / 1991
Master of Science in Clinical Psychology
British Psychological Society
Health Care Professions Council
Head of adult psychology services, Leeds Teaching Hospitals Trust
1. Bellew M and Chumas P (in press) Long-Term Developmental Follow-Up in Non-Syndromic Craniosynostosis Patients. Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics
2. Kay S, Wilks DJ, Bellew M, Baker R (in press) Comment on Bruegger et al (in press) The Health Technology Assessment of the Compulsory Accident Insurance Scheme of Hand Transplantation in Switzerland. The Journal of Hand Surgery
3. Kay S, Wilks DJ, Bellew M, Taplin S. (2014) Conference Abstract: Is Hand Transplantation a Valid Option for Reconstruction of the Absent Upper Limb? Part 1 - Costs and Challenges of Setting up a Service. Journal of Plastic Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery 67(10), 1466
4. Anderson IA, Goomany A, Bonthron DT, Bellew M, Liddington MI, Smith IA, Russell JL, Carter LM, Guruswamy V, Goodden JR, Chumas PD (2014) Does Patient Ethnicity Affect Site of Craniosynostosis? Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics, 14, 6, 682-687
5. Bellew M, Haworth J and Kay S (2011) Toe to Hand Transfer in Children: Ten Year Follow up of Psychological Aspects. Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, 64/6, 766-775
6. Bellew M, Liddington M, Chumas P, Russell J (2011) Pre and Post-operative Developmental Attainment in Sagittal Synostosis - Five-Year Follow-Up. Journal of Neurosurgery- Pediatrics, 7, 121-126
7. Bellew M (2010) Clinical Psychology and OBPP. Chapter in: Erbs Palsy – A comprehensive guide for professionals and parents in the prognosis, treatment and support of Erb’s Palsy, 15
8. Bellew M (2010) Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Erb’s Blerb, Magazine of the Erb’s Palsy Group, 69, 2-4
9. Bellew M (2007) How Clinical Psychologists Can Offer a Helping Hand. Erb’s Blerb, Magazine of the Erb’s Palsy Group, 60, 5
10. Bellew M, Chumas P, Mueller R, Liddington M, Russell J (2005) Pre- and post-operative developmental attainment in sagittal synostosis. Archives of Disease in Childhood, 90, 4, 346-350
11. Bellew M, Kay S (2003) Early Parental Experiences of Obstetric Brachial Plexus Palsy. The Journal of Hand Surgery, 28B, 4, 339-346
12. Vickery LE, Bellew M, Latchford G, Hewison J, Feber T (2003) The Impact of Head and Neck Cancer and Facial Disfigurement on the Quality of Life of Patients and their Partners. Head and Neck, 25, 4, 289-296
13. Bellew M, Atkinson KR, Dixon G and Yates A (2002) The Introduction of a Paediatric Anaesthesia Information Leaflet: An Audit of its Impact on Parental Anxiety and Satisfaction. Paediatric Anaesthesia, 12, 2, 124 - 130
14. Vickery LE, Latchford G, Hewison J, Bellew M, Feber T (2001) The Impact of Head and Neck Cancer and Facial Disfigurement on the Quality of Life of Patients and their Partners. In Varma AK and Roodenburg JLN, editors, Oral Oncology Volume VII. MacMillan India Limited, 283-287
15. Bellew M, Kay S, Webb F and Ward A (2000) Developmental and Behavioural Outcome in Obstetric Brachial Plexus Palsy. The Journal of Hand Surgery, 25B, 1, 49 – 51
16. Bellew M and Kay S (1999) Psychological Aspects of Toe to Hand Transfer in Children – Comparison of Views of Children and their Parents. The Journal of Hand Surgery, 24B, 6, 712 – 718
17. Kay S, Wiberg M, Bellew M and Webb F (1996) Toe to Hand Transfer in Children. Part 2: Functional and Psychological Aspects. The Journal of Hand Surgery, 21B, 6, 735 - 745
18. Bellew M (1993) Book review: Internalizing Disorders in Children and Adolescents. Reynolds, W M (ed) Chichester: John Wiley (1992). In: School Psychology International (1993), 14, 186 – 187
19. Bellew M and Hill A B (1991) Schematic processing and the prediction of depression following childbirth. Personality and Individual Differences, 12, 9, 943 - 949
20. Bellew M and Hill A B (1989) Negative recall bias as a predictor of susceptibility to induced depressive mood. Personality and Individual Differences, 11, 5, 471 - 480
21. Hill A B and Bellew M (1988) The recall of self-congruent and self-incongruent information about the personality of others. Personality and Individual Differences, 9, 4, 727 - 733
Senior consultant clinical psychologist, Leeds Teaching Hospitals Trust.
Head of adult psychology services, Leeds Teaching Hospitals Trust.