Pucker up on National Kissing Day
22 June 2018
Who would have thought that kissing is full of health benefits, multiple studies have suggested that kissing can do everything from burning a few calories to leaving you on an emotional high.
Here are just a few of the benefits that can be gained
- Ten minutes of active kissing can burn off that sneaky mid-morning Mars bar – and a passionate embrace for a minute is said to burn off 26 calories
- Kissing releases feel good hormones like oxytocin and vasopressin. Kissing your loved one goodbye in the morning can instantly lift your mood and start your morning on a high
- The exchange of bacteria when kissing, although doesn’t sound particularly appealing (and can in fact have the reverse affect and make you sick), may also help boost your immunity by exposing you to new germs that can strengthen your immunity. Up to 80 million bacteria are transferred in a ten second kiss!
- A kiss a day keeps the dentist away – kissing stimulates the salivary glands to produce saliva, helping remove cavity-causing particles that may be stuck in teeth
- Kissing can reduce stress, and whilst being romantic may be the last thing on your mind after a stressful day, this is exactly what you should do as kissing reduces the stress hormone, cortisol
- If you are one of the millions suffering with hay fever, 30 minutes of kissing could alleviate your symptoms. Allergic responses can be aggravated by stress and since kissing is known to send feel good hormones to the brain, as well as reducing cortisol levels, this helps in reduction of allergic reactions.
- Kissing may help you determine the compatibility of your partner, far more than any dating app. Messages are sent to your brain which activate a subconscious appraisal of your potential partner
- Romantic kissing can strengthen the bond between you and the person you are kissing increasing the feeling of relationship satisfaction