06 September 2021
The memory clinic with Dr Soumit Singhai, Consultant Geriatrician and Physician is here to provide a detailed assessment of cognition (memory and thinking) and brain health.
What does the memory clinic involve?
This will involve an initial assessment (approximately an hour duration) with specialist consultant Dr Soumit Singhai, who will discuss your symptoms and concerns as part of taking a detailed history and clinical examination.
Further assessment and investigations include:
- Comprehensive cognitive assessment to assess in detail the different domains of cognition (higher brain functions) including memory
- Blood test panel to assess for reversible causes of cognitive decline
- MRI brain scan to visualise the structure of the brain - reported by a specialist neuroradiologist
- Feedback appointment - a second consultation with Dr Singhai where clinical diagnosis and management strategies are explained and discussed
The service will be personalised to your individual needs and it may be covered by your health insurer. Alternatively, we offer a self-pay package price for this clinic.
Why may I need to visit the memory clinic?
It may be time for you to visit the memory clinic if you suffer from some of the following symptoms:
- Difficulty remembering recent events, names, appointments and asking the same questions repeatedly
- Difficulty performing familiar, everyday tasks
- Problems with language - for example finding the right word for something
- Problems judging distances and seeing objects in three dimensions
- Problems with orientation - for example, losing track of the day or date, or becoming confused about what they are
- Poor or decreased judgement - for example dressing inappropriately, wearing several layers of clothing on a warm day
- Problems with keeping track of things - for example finding it difficulty to follow a conversation or television programme
- Changes in personality - for example becoming suspicious, irritable, depressed or agitated, especially in situations where memory problems are causing difficulties
It's time to consult a specialist when memory lapses become frequent enough or sufficiently noticeable to concern you or a family member.
If you're worried about yours, or your loved ones memory, then book in today to our memory clinic for the answers and guidance you need. Call our friendly self-pay team today for more information on 01582 788 412.