MBBS (Hons), MRCS (Eng), FRCS (Tr& Orth)
"I enjoy working at the Spire Fylde Coast Hospital which has excellent facilities and great team who work well together."
I am an experienced consultant orthopaedic surgeon specialising in hip and knee joint replacement surgery. I have worked for 22 years in the NHS as a doctor and have been working as a consultant since 2018. I am a results-oriented skilled surgeon and an ardent advocator of enhanced recovery principles following joint replacement.
I am an orthopaedic surgeon specialising in lower limb arthroplasty surgery ie primary and revision hip and knee replacement surgery. I also perform a variety of knee arthroscopic operations (keyhole surgery).
I am a keen educator and enjoy teaching medical students, junior doctors, and paramedical personnel. I keep abreast with the latest developments in my field by regularly attending regional meetings, national and international conferences.
I have presented and published several peer reviewed papers, a book chapter, and presented research in numerous international and national meetings. I have published one of the largest series in the world of ‘reverse hybrid’ total hip replacements and am the first person in the world to describe the presence of ion channels in human tendon cells. More recently, in 2021, I have had a paper published that describes a new classification system for undersized femoral stems in total hip replacements.
Some of the principal treatments carried out by Mr Merzesh Magra at Spire include:
COVID-19 testing or antibody tests are not available as a standalone service at Spire Fylde Coast Hospital.
MBBS (Hons) / Nagpur University, India / 1998
MRCS (Eng) / England / 2003
Royal College of Surgeons, England
FRCS (Tr&Orth) / England / 2015
Royal College of Surgeons, England
General Medical Council (GMC)
Royal College of Surgeons of England
British Orthopaedic Association (BOA)
British Hip Society (BHS)
British Association for Surgery of the Knee (BASK)
Clinical lead at Morecambe Bay Hospitals for the ‘Propel’ enhanced recovery and accelerated discharge programme
The Younger Athlete. In: Clinical Sports Medicine. Authors: Peter Brukner and Karim Khan. ISBN: 0074715208, 3rd Edition, 2006, Pages: 727-748.
Peer reviewed papers
1) Definition and validation of a system for classifying the undersized Corail femoral stem in total hip arthroplasty. Hip Int. 2021 Mar 15:1120700021996001. doi:10.1177/1120700021996001. Online ahead of print. PMID: 33721509
2) Reverse hybrid total hip arthroplasty. The Bone Joint Journal 2018 Aug;100-B(8):1010-1017. PMID: 30062952
3) A modified technique to extract fractured femoral stem in revision total hip arthroplasty: A report of two cases. International Journal of Surgical Case Reports 2014 Apr 16;5(7):361-364. PMID: 24858980
4) Intramedullary fixation for fractures of the proximal humerus. Orthopaedics and Trauma 2013; 27(3):144-148
5) Absence of the Flexor Digitorum Longus(FDL) tendon - An MRI study. Clinical Anatomy 2012 Nov;25(8):1062-5. PMID: 22334461
6) VOCCs and TREK-1 ion channel expression in human tenocytes. American Journal of Physiology, Cell Physiology 2007; 292(3):C1053-1060. PMID: 17035301
7) Genetic aspects of tendinopathy. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport 2008; 11(3):243-247. Epub 2007 Sep 17. PMID: 17870670
8) A review of epidemiology of paediatric elbow Injuries in sports. Sports Medicine 2007; 37(8):717-735. PMID: 17645373
9) Molecular events in tendinopathy: a role for metalloproteinases. Foot and Ankle Clinics 2005; 10(2):267-77. PMID: 15922918
10) The epidemiology of injuries to the elbow in sport. International SportMed Journal 2005; 6(1):25-33
Peer reviewed lead editorials
1) Genetics: Does it play a role in tendinopathy? Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine 2007; 17(4):231-233. PMID: 17620774
2) Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in tendinopathy: friend or foe. Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine 2006; 16(1):1-3. PMID: 16377967
3) Matrix metalloproteases: a role in overuse tendinopathies. British Journal of Sports Medicine 2005; 39(11):789-91. PMID: 16244185
1) Reverse hybrid total hip arthroplasty: a survival analysis of 1088 consecutive cases with five to ten-year follow-up. The Bone and Joint Journal. 100-B, SUPP 901 May 2018
2) A classification system for undersized femoral stems in uncemented hip arthroplasty. The Bone and Joint Journal. 100-B, SUPP 901 May 2018
3) Dual Mobility Acetabular (Tripolar) Cup: A Realistic Solution for patients with fracture neck of femur. The Bone and Joint Journal. 98-B, SUPP 301 Jan 2016
4) Gene, protein, and electrophysiological expression of ion channels in human tenocytes. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 2008; 90-B: 369
5) A close look at the human tendon: gene, protein and electrophysiological expression of ion channels. British Journal of Sports Medicine 2006; 40:90
Outside of work I enjoy cycling, fell walking, photography, open water diving, and spending quality time with my family and many pets.