Everyone is different and how you prepare for your stay will depend upon the treatment or operation you require. We will send you written information specific to your operation, treatment or investigation when we confirm your admission details.
If you have any concerns or queries, please call your Spire Healthcare hospital
As a rule, you should not drink alcohol the day before your visit and, if you are a smoker, you should try to give up or cut down as much as you can, especially if you will be having a general anaesthetic.
If you get a cold, sore throat or any other illness, please tell us straight away, as your admission may need to be re-scheduled.
We ask you to bring the following items with you:
- dressing gown
- nightdress or pyjamas
- any current medication
- books or magazines
- toiletries, including toothbrush, toothpaste and a hairbrush or comb
- If you wish, you are welcome to bring a battery-operated personal music player e.g. mp3.
We ask you not to bring valuables, jewellery or large amounts of money with you.
We will let you know the approximate time that you'll be ready to leave the hospital - so that you can make arrangements for a friend or family member to accompany you home.
Your consultant will give you any special instructions that you need to follow at home, and arrange any follow-up appointments or treatment. If you need any drugs to help your recovery, these will be given to you before you go home.
If possible, you may want to arrange for someone to look after you for a day or two following your treatment.
When you're back at home, you should:
- relax and rest as much as possible
- take any drugs exactly as your consultant has prescribed
- follow your discharge advice exactly as prescribed - this will include details on what to eat and when you can begin activities again such as driving and lifting heavy shopping
If you have any concerns or queries, please call your local Spire hospital.