29 April 2013
We’re proud to release Spire Healthcare’s 2012 annual results, which show sustained growth in patient, consultant and staff satisfaction, clinical quality, revenue and investment. We believe we are achieving our goal to be recognised as a world class healthcare business.
Highlights from 2012 include:
- 99% of patients rated Spire ‘excellent’, ‘very good’ or ‘good’
- Investment of £55.2m which included:
- two new MRI scanners in Little Aston and Liverpool;
- new theatres at our Southampton and Fylde Coast hospitals, a theatre upgrade at our Harpenden hospital and a theatre refurbishment at our Hartswood hospital;
- upgrades of sterile services departments at our Wellesley and Elland hospitals, and work commenced at Clare Park;
- a new cardiac catheterisation suite in our Bristol hospital;
- Spire’s 38th hospital opened – the £35 million Montefiore Hospital in Brighton and Hove
- Spire opened its flagship Perform centre at St George’s Park – The Football Association’s inspirational new home for innovation in sporting performance
- Spire staff raised and donated more than £75,000 to charities and local communities
- A strong financial performance with EBITDAR at £204.4 million – an increase of 8.6%
- Spire had over 230,000 patient discharges – an increase of 4.3% from 2011
Commenting on these results, Rob Roger CEO of Spire Healthcare said:
“Spire is one of the leading private hospital operators in the UK, and we are dedicated to placing our patients’ interests at the heart of everything we do. Our success is built on targeted but consistent investment in our hospitals, through extending our range of services and in recruiting, developing and retaining our staff. Since 2007, we have invested over £455 million in the business.
“In 2012, we opened two new facilities – the Montefiore Hospital in Brighton and our flagship Perform sports rehabilitation centre at St George’s Park – and continued to diversify the range of services we offer. We have invested significantly in cancer, cardiology and neurology facilities, and increased our diagnostic capabilities with additional MRI scanners.
“These results demonstrate that we have successfully built an outstanding private healthcare provider of significant scale. We believe that the UK private healthcare market continues to be a sector of outstanding opportunity and we are ideally positioned to play a leading role in its development.”
1EBITDAR is Earnings before interest, tax, depreciation, amortisation and hospital rental payments (pre-exceptional items)