Gillian Potter trained in medicine at the University of Edinburgh, gaining a Bachelor of Sciences Honours degree in 1995, before graduating MBChB in 1998. After house physician and house surgeon posts in Edinburgh, she trained in general medicine in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, before returning to Edinburgh to commence training in general radiology. In 2007, she was appointed as Neuroradiology clinical research fellow in the University of Edinburgh, completing her doctorate in cerebral small vessel disease in 2010. She then took up a Neuroradiology fellowship in Vancouver General Hospital. She was appointed Consultant Neuroradiologist in 2011, and has special interests in skull base, ENT/head & neck, and cerebral small vessel disease.
- Potter GM, Hilditch CA, Laitt RD. Chapter: Imaging for endoscopic sinus surgery. Head & Neck Surgery, 2nd edition, 2015.
- Mair G, von Kummer R, Morris Z, von Heijne A, Bradey N, Cala L, Peeters A,Farrall AJ, Adami A, Potter GM, Cohen G, Sandercock PAG, Lindley R, WardlawJM and the IST-3 Collaborative Group. Appearance of hyperdense arteries in acute ischaemic stroke, clinical outcome and response to recombinant tissue plasminogen activator: An analysis of the Third International Stroke Trial (IST-3). Neurology 2015.
- Doshi J, Hughes R, Freeman SRM, Potter GM, Ward CL, Rutherford SA, King AT, Ramsden R, Lloyd SKW. Clinical and radiological guidance in managing facial nerve schwannomas. Otology & Neurotology 2014.
- Kontorinis G, Potter GM, Siripurapu R, Freeman SRM, Lloyd SK, Rutherford SA, King AT. Management of cerebellopontine angle lipomas: need for long-term radiological surveillance? Otology & Neurotology 2014.
- Husaen B, McCreary R, Evans J, Potter GM, Silverdale M. Cervical myelopathy secondary to Tourette’s syndrome managed by urgent Deep Brain Stimulation. Movement Disorders 2013.
- Potter GM, Doubal FN, Jackson CA, Chappell F, Sudlow CLM, Dennis MS, Wardlaw JM. Enlarged perivascular spaces and cerebral small vessel disease. International Journal of Stroke 2013.
- Potter GM, Doubal FN, Jackson CA, Sudlow CLM, Dennis MS, Wardlaw JM. Lack of association of white matter lesions with ipsilateral carotid artery stenosis. Cerebrovascular Diseases 2012.
- Potter GM, Marlborough FJ, Wardlaw JM. Wide variation in definition, detection and description of lacunar lesions on imaging. Stroke 2011.
- Potter GM, Doubal FN, Jackson CA, Chappell FM, Sudlow CLM, Dennis MS, Wardlaw JM Long-term appearance of lacunar infarction on imaging: what proportion become CSF-containing cavities? Stroke 2011.
- Potter GM, Roman G. Editorial: Cerebral small-vessel disease: What lies beyond the early years? Neurology 2011.
- Samarasekera N, Potter GM, Al-Shahi Salman R. Chapter: Microbleed mimics. Cerebral Microbleeds: Pathophysiology to Clinical Practice, 1st edition, 2011.
- Potter GM, Doubal FN, Jackson CA, Sudlow CLM, Dennis MS, Wardlaw JM. Associations of clinical stroke misclassification (‘clinical-imaging dissociation’) in acute ischaemic stroke. Cerebrovascular Diseases 2010.
- Cordonnier C, Potter GM, Doubal F, Jackson CA, Keir S, Sudlow CLM, Wardlaw JM and Al-Shahi Salman R. Improving interrater agreement about brain microbleeds: development of the Brain Observer MicroBleed Scale (BOMBS). Stroke 2009.
- Potter GM, Murchison JT, McKillop G. Pseudotumour of the adrenal gland due to an epiphrenic diverticulum. Clinical Radiology Extra 2004.