Spire Thames Valley Hospital is pleased to offer a fully comprehensive semen analysis performed by an experienced embryologist, in discreet and comfortable surroundings.
Appropriate testing and accurate interpretation of semen analysis results is vital to achieve a reliable diagnosis for male factor infertility.
The analysis is currently performed by our
consultant embryologist Ms Claire Mooney.
What will the sperm test results include?
- The number of sperm present. This is important as sperm have to travel an exceptionally long distance from the vagina into the fallopian tubes to meet the egg. If the count is too low, the chances of sperm finding the egg is going to be very much reduced.
- The percentage of sperm that are moving and analysis of how progressively mobile these sperm are. Sperm need to be able to move rapidly and in straight lines if they are to be successful in reaching the egg.
- The shape of the sperm (morphology) with a detailed breakdown of defects. If sperm are an abnormal shape this can decrease their ability to fertilise an egg.
- MAR antibody test (IgA/IgG). If antibodies are present, this can cause the sperm to stick together and reduce the ability of the sperm to fertilise an egg
- Presence of other cells as a marker of inflammation or infection as this may reduce fertility.
Your results will be available within 24 hours to your GP or referring consultant and conform to World Health Organisation current guidelines.
To book an appointment
We currently hold an evening and weekend clinic for semen analysis which is held at both Spire Thames Valley Hospital and Spire Windsor Clinic.
Please call Fertility Solutions: 01753 891118 to book an appointment.
Fertility Solutions were asked to write an article for the Parliamentary Review - click here to read the article