Spire Harpenden Hospital is a leading private hospital, based in Hertfordshire, just North of London - in the South East of England. The hospital caters for a wide range of patients from Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire, as well as from other parts of the United Kingdom and abroad. We use highly experienced and skilled consultants to carry out all our services including the Abiliti Gastric Pacemaker.
What is a Abiliti Gastric Pacemaker?
The Abiliti Gastric Pacemaker - also called Implantable gastric stimulation (IGS) - is a type of weight loss surgery. It may be appropriate for you if you have a body mass index (BMI) of 35 or more and is a relatively quick and minimally-invasive operation. The abiliti system consists of a stimulator (a small battery-powered device similar to a cardiac pacemaker) and a lead cable containing a stimulation electrode and food sensor.
About the Abiliti Gastric Pacemaker procedure
The procedure is done through laparoscopic surgery, a minimally invasive (keyhole surgery) technique in which a surgeon uses a camera called a laparoscope, small incisions, and specialised instruments. The camera allows the surgeon to view the inside of your abdominal cavity in order to insert the lead containing the sensor and the stimulation electrode into your stomach. After the stimulator is implanted, the laparoscopic (key hole) incisions are closed. The procedure involves no intestinal re-routing or stapling of the stomach.
"I feel better about myself, and it has also given me self-confidence. Before, I never would have gone swimming."
As a result, the surgery is very safe and because the anatomy of the digestive tract is unchanged, the procedure is easily reversible. In most cases, the procedure takes less than an hour to complete, during which time you will be asleep.
Why choose the Abiliti gastric pacemaker ?
- It's gentle: the abiliti system works by making you feel full so that you consume less.
- You are free to enjoy life: The abiliti system doesn't put any restrictions on your lifestyle.
- You can eat and drink what you choose – you will just choose to eat less.
- It's safe: The abiliti device is safely placed into your abdomen with little risk of short-term or long-term complications.
- It's smart: The abiliti system automatically monitors when you eat, drink, and exercise. So you and your physician can spot trends and make lifestyle choices that help you lose weight – and keep it off.
- Tired of manually logging all of your meals? abiliti makes a note of when you eat.
- Can't remember when you exercised or how far you went? abiliti tracks all your activities, providing a simple summary of your calories burned.
- It's social: As an abiliti user, you're never alone – you will be part of a community of like-minded individuals who are also using the ability system to lose weight. Through this community, you can learn more about weight loss, share your experience, encourage others and participate in online forums covering a range of topics.
- It's proven technology: The abiliti system is based on technology used successfully in millions of cardiac pacemakers and defibrillators and now clinically proven for weight loss.