The team at the Orthopaedic Centre of Excellence at Spire Cardiff Hospital is proud of the development of our hydrotherapy service that can enhance recovery after your injury or your operation.
Hydrotherapy improves mobility, power and balance. The water provides both buoyancy and support allowing the individual to achieve more than is normally possible on dry land. It is the ideal way to increase loading through your joint, and significantly helps with your return to normal function and sporting activity.
Patients may be able to be referred into our hydrotherapy service that is run by our highly qualified physiotherapists. A preliminary assessment with one of the physiotherapy team at the hospital ensures that your referral to the pool is appropriate for the rehabilitation you may need.
Our hydrotherapy service is held in St. Mellons Hotel & Country Club, Castleton, Cardiff
Before you arrive for your hydrotherapy session
- Please allow adequate time for changing before your appointment
- Remember your swimming costume/trunks
- Lockers are available at a cost of £1 (returnable)
- Please bring your own towel
- Please bring a drink to rehydrate yourself after the session
- Please notify us if you are unwell and not able to attend your appointment call ( 029 2054 2745)
- Please tell us if you have a skin rash or lesion before entering the pool
- Please notify us if you have had an infection or raised temperature in the 48 hours prior to you hydrotherapy appointment
When you arrive
- Please take care on the floors as they might be wet ; you may choose to use one stick or crutch to walk into the pool area
- You must shower before entering and leaving the pool
- Do not enter the water until instructed to do so
Please be aware that Spire patients have only the use of the pool whilst they are supervised by a Spire Physiotherapist.
Whilst you would not be able to use the steam room and jacuzzi as part of your Spire hydrotherapy session, the staff at St Mellon’s are on hand and would be pleased to discuss the terms and conditions of their leisure centre membership with you.
For further information contact our Orthopaedic Centre of Excellence on 029 2054 2755.