Chronic Pain, defined as pain lasting for longer than 6 months affects around 20% of adults in the UK having a detrimental impact on every single aspect of life. It is a major clinical, social and economic problem but, above all, persistent pain is a human tragedy.
About 1 in 5 patients see their GP primarily for a painful condition. Those most affected are working people in their forties and fifties with 25% of them losing their jobs and 22% becoming clinically depressed. As we are all getting older, pain is often seen as inevitable becoming the part which runs our lives.
There is substantial evidence that chronic pain is often inadequately treated. According to the Chief Medical Officer only 14% of chronic pain sufferers get referred to a Pain Specialist Service.
This is partly down to lack of awareness that effective treatment can be offered and partly down to the lack in high quality multi-disciplinary Pain Management Services.
It is well established that early effective treatment can prevent chronic pain or at least make it more manageable.
Common Pain Conditions
- Back pain (Sciatica & unspecific)
- Neck-shoulder pain (whiplash injury, “stiff neck”, etc)
- Coccydynia (Tailbone pain)
- Nerve related pain (Diabetic Neuropathy, Neuralgias, Shingles pain, etc.)
- Chronic post-surgical pain (pain following operations)
- Facial pain
- Cancer related pain
At Spire Yale Hospital Wales your pain condition will be thoroughly assessed by one of our experienced Consultants who are all fully accredited specialists in Pain Management.
We offer a wide range of treatment options and interventions including:
- Specialist Pain Physiotherapy
- Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS), External Nerve Modulation (ENM)
- Therapeutic epidurals
- Caudal injections
- Nerve injections
- Facet joint/Sacro-iliac joint injections
- Ultrasound guided joint injections (hip, shoulder, knee, etc.)
- Radio-frequency(RF)-treatment (pulsed, conventional and cooled RF)
All treatments are provided as day cases.
For further information and procedure prices click here.