Spire Healthcare offers the latest obesity surgery procedures to help you lose weight. Weight loss surgery such as gastric banding, also known as lap banding, gastric sleeve, also known as sleeve gastrectomy, and gastric bypass can achieve significant, long-term weight loss. We also offer POSE, an incision-free weight loss surgery procedure which is performed through the mouth and inside the stomach. Gastric balloon insertion is a temporary non-surgical treatment that can also lead to weight loss, and is sometimes used in preparation for bypass or banding surgery. Also available are duodenal switch operations. All of our procedures aim to help you lose weight and reduce any medical problems you may be experiencing as a result of being very overweight.
Which weight loss treatment is right for me?
Not everyone is suitable for weight loss surgery. If you have a BMI of between 27 and 35 a gastric balloon insertion may be a suitable (non-surgical) option. If you have a BMI over 35 the surgical options of gastric band or gastric bypass may be more appropriate for suitable patients. NICE Guidance on obesity (2006) recommends that surgery is considered for people with obesity if:
- They have a BMI of 40kg/m2 or more, or between 35kg/ m2 and 40 kg/m2 and other significant disease (for example type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure) that could be improved if they lost weight
- All appropriate non-surgical measures have failed to achieve or maintain adequate clinically beneficial weight management for at least six months
- They are receiving or will receive intensive specialist management
- They are generally fit for anaesthesia and surgery
- They commit to the need for long-term follow-up
Click on the images below for more information on our four main weight loss treatments.