Mr Purushothaman graduated in medicine in 2002 from The TN Dr MGR Medical University, Chennai, India. He moved to the Northeast of England in 2005 and underwent Basic Surgical Training in Newcastle, and obtained his MRCS from the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. Following this, he entered specialty training in Trauma & Orthopaedics, rotating through various hospitals in the Northeast, and trained with a focus on spinal surgery. He successfully acquired FRCS in 2013.
He then undertook the AO Spine Fellowship at the Princess Alexandra Hospital, Mater Hospital, and Lady Cilento in Brisbane, Australia, where he received extensive training in various conditions of the spine, including degenerative, trauma, infections, and malignancy.
He was then appointed as a consultant spinal surgeon at Sunderland Royal Hospital
He is a faculty for:
- Revision courses run for candidates sitting the FRCS (Trauma & Orthopaedics) exams
- In Training Clinical Assessment (ITCA) for orthopaedic trainees
- Preparatory course for candidates applying for Specialty Training in Trauma & Orthopaedics
He has also been a faculty for the following events during his Fellowship:
- Paediatric Trauma Education – Outreach, Brisbane, May 2015
- Depuy Synthes Nurses Education Day, Brisbane, March 2015
- Queensland Trauma Symposium, Brisbane, February 2015