Job Title Team Leader Nursing
Call 01753 665468
to apply or for
Reports To Ward Manager/Nursing
Hospital Spire Thames Valley
To provide exemplary planned care for patients while managing a team. To ensure the team delivers effective patient care by providing appropriate clinical and managerial leadership.
- Develop practice in the assessment of health and well-being needs
- Develop practice in addressing individual’s health and well-being needs
- Provide and receive complex, sensitive or contentious information
- Develop knowledge and practice in an area of work
- Develop a working environment and culture that actively improves health, safety and security
- Develop and improve services
- Improve quality
- Support and enable equality, diversity and rights
- Lead others in the development of knowledge, ideas and work practices
- Plan, allocate, assess and provide feedback to team members
- Maintain and support the use of efficient use of physical and financial resources
- Undertake Human resource activities for all members of the team
- Acknowledge the risk of Healthcare Associated Infections (HCAI) and understand own responsibility as agreed with line manager in the prevention and control of HCAI
Develop practice in the assessment of health and well-being needs
- Discuss, and agree with colleagues capabilities and competencies in practice, across the team.
- Compare current practices, trends and developments against appropriate benchmarks.
- Explain clearly to patients whose needs are being assessed own and others’ responsibilities and how they inter-relate.
- Identify peoples health needs through observation discussion and the use of technical assessment methods, obtain informed consent prior to the commencement of the assessment.
- Obtain information on patients’ needs within the overall context of their personal and care requirements, follow processes of reasoning which allows optimum outcomes to be achieved. .
- Collect, collate and organise data, interpret all of the information and make a justifiable assessment relating to patients’ needs, promoting their wellbeing and reducing risks in the short and long term.
- Identify and discuss with colleagues the implication of assessment against the programme of care, enabling them to think through the risks and their effective management and the need for referral to others.
- Provide advice and support on assessment approaches and conclusions to colleagues and others, proactively and on request.
Develop practice in addressing individual’s health and well-being needs
- Identify patients’ goals that are appropriate to their needs, wishes and circumstances, compare current practice against appropriate benchmarks
- Develop plans of care that are appropriate to the patients that take into consideration the care pathway, risks and their wellbeing. Compare current practice against appropriate benchmarks.
- Undertake evidence based practice be an exemplary role model.
- Obtain informed consent prior to implementing patients’ plan of care. Promoting patients’ rights and wishes explaining to colleagues particular aspects which may be prejudiced during the process.
- Enable colleagues to develop their own competence in using different interventions designed to address people’s health and wellbeing needs and promote their health and well-being.
- Transfer and apply skills and knowledge to meet arising needs and issues explaining clearly to colleagues rationale and reasoning processes.
- Discuss outcomes with colleagues to enable them to think through the risks and their effective management and the need for referral to others.
- Identify and discuss with colleagues outcomes and their implication for further action.
- Provide advice and support on approaches to care and outcomes of care proactively and on request.
Provide and receive complex, sensitive or contentious information
- Identify potential communication differences, relevant contextual factors and the risk of communicating or not communicating information at that time.
- Communicate information in a manner that is consistent with the level of culture, background, understanding using patients preferred method.
- Recognise and manage differences of opinion and the longer term importance of communication enabling a constructive outcome to be achieved.
- Proactively use a range of skills and styles of communication with others to improve long terms goals.
- Promote and model good practice consistent with legislation and Spire Healthcare policies.
Develop knowledge and practice in own area of work
- Evaluate own knowledge and practice plans and make effective use of appropriate learning opportunities.
- Prepare for and actively take part in Spire Healthcare’s enabling excellence programme and set personal development objective.
- Maintain personal development portfolio, applying own new learning to the future development of area of work.
- Encourage others to make realistic self assessments and their application of knowledge and skills, challenge complacency and actions which are not in the patients’ or the public’s interest.
- Contribute to the development of a learning culture within Spire Healthcare
- Alert managers to resource issues which affect learning, development and performance.
Develop a working environment and culture that actively improves health, safety and
- Regularly assesses risk to health, safety and security using the results to promote and improve practice.
- Ensure that the working environment is as safe as possible and complies with organisational, professional and legal requirements and guidelines.
- Take appropriate action when problems arise
- Ensure individuals and team are aware of their rights and responsibilities and know the factors that may adversely affect health, safety and security.
- Ensure individuals and team are able to access suitable learning opportunity to enable them to work in a healthy, safe and productive way, and are able to voice their concerns without fear of reproach.
- Secure appropriate resources fir education and training in health and safety.
- Support others in managing risk to, and improving, health, safety and security.
- Act as a role model in promoting health, safety and security and engage in appropriate exercises and training and investigations to update and extend knowledge. Encourage these characteristics within the team.
Develop and improve services
- Ensure that legislation, policies and procedures are correctly applied within the team
- Review the information available on services and identify areas for improvement
- Discuss and debate with relevant people the effectiveness, efficiency and appropriateness of services that are being provided with particular attention to risks and priorities, service issues, impact of strategies on service development and delivery
- Agree with others specification for services within a given time scale, resource availability, benchmarks, and peoples’ roles and responsibilities
- Lead the development of effective information and support for service improvement, working with others to identify the effectiveness of the service against agreed criteria
- Contribute to policy and practice changes arising from audits, complaints, requests or new evidence
- Act as a role model in quality improvement offering advice and support to others
- Maintain continual professional development in quality improvement, make recommendations on how quality in own area of work can be improved
- Alert others to new developments and the implications of this to their practice
- Enable others to understand their contribution to quality against expected standards and evidence while assessing and manage risks to quality and offering ideas and suggestions for improvement
- Enable and energise others to take an active role in auditing, meeting within formal and informal networks allowing pertinent issues to be addressed and resolved
- Continuously monitor activities against quality standards, anticipate factors that may reduce quality and take effective action to address them
- Begin the investigation of incidents and complaints immediately
- Review changes in practice and the extent to which quality has been improved
Enable people to exercise their rights and promote their equality and diversity
- Interpret the rights and responsibilities of people in ways that are consistent with legislation and policies
- Plan care for vulnerable people and those who may lack capacity to make decisions for themselves; whilst ensuring the patient remains at the centre of decision making and is fully safeguarded
- Actively promote equality, diversity, rights and responsibilities
- Provide clear, up to date information and support to people on exercising their rights and making a complaint.
- Develop solutions that are capable of wider application when rights have been compromised
- Monitor the effectiveness of equality, diversity and rights policies and procedures, regularly review how they are being implemented and provide support to improve effectiveness
Lead others in the development of knowledge, ideas and work practice
- Identify clearly the wider benefits that develop knowledge, ideas and work practices
- Establish with others goals and methods for developing knowledge, ideas and work practices, and inspire others with own values and beliefs for developing practice
- Challenge those whose views and actions are not consistent with developing knowledge and practice and a learning culture within the team
- Support and encourage others to understand their contribution, offer suggestions and ideas, and take an active part in developing knowledge and practice
- Accept joint responsibility for any arising problems and tensions and use these to inform future practice, make recommendations for future resourcing to develop practices
Plan, allocate, assess and provide feedback to team members
- Suggest workforce requirements that meet organisational needs and legal requirements
- Assess and select individuals for posts using agreed methods and based on objective assessment against agreed selection criteria
- Communicate clearly with team, providing them with opportunity to contribute to team planning, work and improvement programme
- Ensure work plans are consistent with team objectives, abilities and development
- Allocate work that makes best use of their abilities, providing suitable learning opportunities and job enlargement/enrichment in accordance with Spire Healthcare learning culture
- Agree with team members action to address issues with and at work
- Implement performance management in a fair, timely and impartial manner consistent with Spire Healthcare procedures and legislative policies
Maintain and support the efficient use of physical and financial resources
- Give those who use resources opportunities to provide information on those that are needed
- Make and present to the senior managers recommendation on effective use of resources and improvement opportunities
- Give team members the opportunity to take responsibility for the efficient use of resources, monitor their use and identify potential or actual problems
- Undertake corrective action when resources are not be used in an effective manner
- Accurately maintain records of resource management
Undertake Human Resource Activities
- Select individuals for posts within the team using agreed methods based on objective assessments against agreed selection criteria.
- Induct all new members to the team clarifying rules, policies and procedures that apply to each employee acknowledging standard of performance that is expected.
- Continue to monitor the performance of all team members on an ongoing basis and formally provide feedback at least every six months through the enabling excellence process.
- Manage the Grievance and Disciplinary Policy and Procedure as appropriate regarding team members work, working environment or working relationships.
- Manage sickness and absence within the team, monitor absence rate statistics, with sickness and absence interviews at the earliest opportunity. Ensure team members know what is expected of themselves and their work activity and attendance.
- Support business redesign within the team members’ working patterns and practices.
- Suggest workforce requirements that meet organisational needs and legal requirements.
- Undertake the Service Organisation Profile within the team and feedback personal and departmental action plans to the team at the earliest opportunity.
E = Essential D = Desirable
Qualifications and Training
E Registered Nurse
D Supervisory/Management qualification
E Analysing staff and ward management problems and coming up with viable solutions
E Working as a practitioner in and across multi disciplinary teams
E Experience of applying clinical reasoning skills to a range of complex and varied patient
E Challenging consultants to influence evidence based practice
E Share evidence based practices with colleagues to enhance service and standards
E Experience of working in partnership with consultants and participating in creating
innovative solution for the service
D Previous supervisory experience
D Experience of independent sector
D Support the commercial development of the business locally
Knowledge and Technical Ability
E Competence across a range of nursing skills supported by professional and clinical
E Possess the mandatory training requirements for role including infection control and
health and safety competencies
E Possess Equipment and Medical Devices Competences
E Continuing professional development
E Trained on MS Office and other relevant packages
E Demonstrate principles of accountable practice
E Teaching skills
E Keeps abreast of developments in own specialism
E Maximising people and financial resources whilst maintaining a safe
E Professional assessor
E Auditing skills across clinical standards and departments
E English language to IELTS 7.0
D Business Development skills e.g. creation of business cases
D Root cause analysis
E Caring for others
E Team working
E Flexible and adaptable
E Initiative and ownership
E Pride and enthusiasm
E Nursing and Midwifery Council registration and regulation
E Willing to participate in flexible working pattern
E Empathy for vulnerable and sick patients
E Empathy for principles and importance of EO and dignity at work
E Flexible work processes
Involves a range of complex job related situations which require analysis or comparison of a range of options.
Freedom to Act
- Use initiative while working within established procedures, and practice to acceptable standards for team results.
- Work within a wide range of nursing procedures and professional guidelines.
- Responsible for day to day management of self and other members of the team. Leads team and allocates team activities while managing and developing individuals.
- Act as an accountable practitioner guided by the precedent and clearly defined occupational policies and procedures, including the Nursing and Midwifery Council Code of Conduct.
Demonstrates own activities or workplace routines to new or less experienced employees in own work area. Provides clinical supervision to other staff
The post holder will function within a predictable work pattern which requires moderate physical skills which are normally obtained through practice over a period of time. There will be short/moderate bursts of activity during the provision of personal care to patients. Moderate/Frequent mental effort will be required.
To apply for this role, please either call us on 01753 665468 and/or email your CV to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org