Shockwave therapy is a well-tolerated and established treatment with NICE approval for the following indications:
• plantar fasciitis
• Achilles tendinopathy
• lateral epicondylitis
• greater trochanteric pain syndrome
• proximal hamstring tendinopathy
• calcific tendinitis of the shoulder
All these indications are approved by insurers.
Shockwave therapy is also very effective for treatment resistant patellar, supraspinatus/rotator cuff and biceps tendinopathy.
There are only a few contraindications to Shockwave therapy:
• patients who have had NSAID’s in the last 2 weeks
• patients who have had their last steroid injection less than 12 weeks ago
• patients on anticoagulants (aspirin is acceptable)
patients who develop a tumour or infection at the treatment site
• under 18’s should not be treated; however exceptions can be made for young elite athletes