Spire Southampton Hospital offers safe and effective weight loss surgery, also known as obesity surgery or bariatric surgery, to patients from Southampton, Hampshire, Dorset, the Isle of Wight and Channel Islands. For more information about our free information events or a guide price please call 023 8091 4471 or click here to complete our enquiry form.
After weight loss surgery at Spire Southampton follow up appointments with the surgeon and dietitian are included.
There is now a wider range of weight loss surgery procedures available and our excellent specialist surgeons are highly trained in the following:
- Gastric band – usually one night in hospital with follow up appointments for band fills
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass – more complex surgery, usually resulting in more rapid weight loss and requiring a three night stay in hospital
- Sleeve gastrectomy – reduces stomach size to about one third and requires a three night stay in hospital
- Biliopancreatic diversion and duodenal switch (BPD-DS) – a combination of sleeve gastrectomy and gastric bypass. More extensive surgery requiring three or four nights in hospital.
- POSE - incisionless surgery, for people with a lower BMI of 30 - 40 for whom other types of surgery may not be suitable
- Abiliti - the gastric implant or pacemaker that gently stimulates your stomach with a feeling of fullness when you eat or drink something, helping your brain believe you are full and more likely to eat less. Mr James Byrne is now offering this procedure. For more information please email email@example.com or call 023 8091 4475.
In addition to weight loss surgery we also offer a non-surgical weight loss service, click here for more information.
Our experienced consultants perform around 160 weight loss surgery operations each year. All use keyhole (laparoscopic) surgery techniques where appropriate, meaning there is no need for a big incision. After surgery follow up appointments with the surgeon and dietitian are provided.