Professor Jayanta Barua is a consultant urologist offering urology treatment at Spire Hartswood private hospital in Brentwood and Spire Roding private hospital in Redbridge.
Jayanta Barua qualified in 1982 from the University of Edinburgh. He trained as a registrar in urology in Dundee and as a senior registrar at Barts and the Royal London Hospitals. He was appointed as a Consultant Urologist at Harold Wood Hospital near Brentwood in 1996 and moved to King George Hospital, Goodmayes, Essex in 2006. He has been Director of Research & Development at the Barking Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust (which includes Queens Hospital, Romford) since 2001.
Professor Barua’s urological practice involves the emergency and routine management of common urological disorders including urinary stone disease, problems with urinary outflow and urinary tract cancers. In addition, his special clinical interests are:
- uro-oncology: cancers of the urinary tract
- uro-gynaecology (women’s urology) and abnormal function of the bladder including urinary incontinence and urodynamic studies to test bladder behaviour
- impotence and male infertility, including reversal of vasectomy and modern techniques of sperm retrieval in patients with obstructive azoospermia (where there is a blockage to the flow of sperm from the testes)
Professor Barua regularly performs the following operations and treatments:
- Rigid and flexible cystoscopy (bladder investigations), transurethral resection of bladder tumours (TURBT) and transurethral resection of prostate (TURP)
- Removal of ureteric and bladder stones by open surgery and by endoscopic (keyhole) surgery
- Pyeloplasty, retropubic prostatectomy for benign prostate disease
- Colposuspension (bladder neck repair for women)
- Cancer surgery eg radical orchidectomy for testicular cancer; radical nephrectomy and nephro-ureterectomy for kidney cancers and a new and less invasive treatment for prostate cancer called High Intensity Focused Ultrasound or HIFU. This destroys cancerous tissue using heat treatment generated by ultrasound waves.
- Circumcision for adults and children
- Other urological surgery for children including hydrocele repair and orchidopexy for undescended testes
- Vasectomy; reversal of vasectomy
Jayanta Barua aims to provide a caring and compassionate approach to all his patients. He believes in listening to patients and sharing his knowledge and medical opinion using jargon-free language. Jayanta likes to take a shared approach, involving patients equally in decision-making when discussing and finalising the care and treatment best suited to their needs. He feels happy and privileged to be able to do this with many enthusiastic team colleagues at Spire Hartswood and Spire Roding hospitals.