If you have any concerns about your breasts, simply ask your GP to refer you to the Breast Care Clinic at Spire Portsmouth Hospital, or give us a call on 02392 456 172 and we can book an appointment for you.
Led by fully qualified breast surgeons and supported by specialist radiologists and pathologists, the Breast Care Clinic offers:
The clinic is accessible to everyone, with or without a GP referral.
What is breast cancer?
A woman's breasts go through many changes during her lifetime. These changes can take place during the menstrual cycle, pregnancy, breastfeeding, the menopause, and may also be caused by changes in a woman’s weight.
In addition to normal changes, breast tissue can develop cells that result in benign or malignant cancerous growths. Although men have very little breast tissue, male breast cancer still occur.
What are the symptoms of breast cancer?
Although most changes to your breasts are benign, it is important to continuously self-check for any changes to your breasts. Look for1:
Screening for breast cancer
- A change in size or shape
- Redness or a rash on the skin and/or around the nipple
- Discharge (liquid) that comes from the nipple without squeezing
- A swelling in your armpit or around your collarbone
- A lump or thickening that feels different from the rest of the breast tissue
- A change in skin texture such as puckering or dimpling (like orange skin)
- Your nipple becoming inverted (pulled in) or changing its position or shape
- Constant pain in your breast or your armpit
Breast cancer screening can either be done as part of a routine appointment (for women over 50 there is a national screening programme), when you find a lump, or your breast feels different or painful. Screening can consist of a mammogram, an ultrasound and/ or a fine needle aspiration or biopsy, depending on your particular situation and medical history.
You will be given your results as soon as possible after your initial visit to the clinic, and in most cases peace of mind is restored. If you would need further treatment, Spire Portsmouth Hospital can offer fast access to the care you need.
Call us on 02392 456 172 today and our friendly team will be able to talk through your options with you.