Suffers of long-standing back or neck pain will know only too well the vicious circle of pain which can lead to inactivity, further spinal deterioration and yet more pain. At Spire Norwich Hospital's Back and Neck Clinic we aim to break this circle through programmes using up-to-date treatment techniques delivered by our specialist physiotherapists.
Active spine care
for active people
The clinic provides
Your first step is to visit the Back and Neck Clinic for a consultation conducted by a chartered physiotherapist. Because everyone is an individual - treatment is planned and tailored to address your specific condition - we pride ourselves on treating our patients, not just their symptoms.
At Spire Norwich Hospital we understand that back and neck pain can be debilitating. If left untreated, a simple one-off pain can develop into a condition that can affect your quality of life in the future.
Assessment and treatment
Our aim is to relieve your pain, promote relaxation, restore movement, increase general fitness and strengthen the muscles that support your spine. Treatments can include manual techniques, guided use of our gym for exercises and core stability programmes. Lifting and postural advice with long-term back care education and acupuncture are also available.
Early intervention can help to achieve a quick recovery enabling you to return to your normal level of fitness. We also help in a gradual return to work, advising on the do's and don'ts for long-term benefit.
- At your first appointment a detailed history will be taken, followed by a thorough assessment of your condition. This will help your physiotherapist establish your baseline function from which we can measure your improvement.
- You will receive expert advice and treatment and your physiotherapist will provide you with a personal recovery programme tailored to your needs.
- Your physiotherapist can also refer you to a consultant and arrange access, when necessary, to our diagnostic facilities including X-ray, CT and MRI scanning and blood tests.
- Your physiotherapist can liaise with your GP or consultant and provide them with a detailed discharge summary at the end of your treatment.
As treatment progresses your physiotherapist will recommend appropriate exercises to perform at home and will provide guidance to help you with these. The ultimate aim of the treatment is to incorporate active spine care principles into daily life.
Symptoms we can help with:
- pain or aching anywhere along your spine
- pain, tingling, weakness or numbness in your leg or arm
- muscle spasm, muscle tightening of their own accord
- difficulty in moving from one position to another
- stiffness in your neck or lower back
- difficulty in standing up straight
Conditions treated include:
- mechanical low back pain
- postural problems
- disc problems
- poor core stability
- injury or overuse
The Back and Neck Clinic is open to all, not just those with private medical insurance. If you are not insured, please contact our physiotherapy department on 01603 255 587 and we will be happy to advice you of the cost for your treatment.
For further information on the Back and Neck Clinic at Spire Norwich Hospital call 01603 255 587 or complete our online enquiry form.