Radial Shockwave Therapy is a series of energetic shockwaves applied to the body to treat chronic tendon inflammations. The shockwave is not an electric shock wave it is purely mechanical one that initiates an inflammation like condition (pro-flamatory) in the tissue that is being treated.
The body responds by increasing the blood circulation and metabolism in the impact area which in turn accelerates the body’s own healing processes. The shockwaves breakdown injured tissues and calcifications.
At Spire Liverpool Hospital Mr Eugene Toh uses ESWT to treat foot and ankle condition. To read more about Mr Toh please click here.
ESWT offers two main advantages over traditional surgical methods which are fewer potential complications and also a faster return to normal activity.
Other advantages include
- No anaesthesia
- Non invasive
- No medication
- No surgery
- Fast treatment – 30 minutes per session with only 3-4 sessions usually required
- Virtually painless after treatment
How does it work?
- The shockwave is delivered to the tissue via a compressed air impulse exerted by the hand piece.
- The shockwave radiates out, extending to the entire area where pain occurs.
- No anaesthetic required and you can continue with normal activities although it is not recommended to avoid pain provoking exercise for 48 hours following treatment.
- No surgery or other therapy is required and treatment can usually start strait away.
For more information or to make an appointment call 08444 990 617