History of Spire Liverpool Hospital
The Lourdes Hospital, Liverpool, had its origins in the caring works of the order of Roman Catholic Sisters who founded it, the Congregation of the Poor Servants of the Mother of God. The origins of the hospital are separate from its current location and function. In 1891, the well-known Monsignor James Nugent ‘father of the poor’, whose statue stands to this day in central Liverpool, appealed to Frances Taylor [religious name, Mother Magdalen Taylor], founder of the congregation, to establish a refuge for vulnerable and destitute women, following the closure by the authorities of a number of ‘disorderly houses’.
The womens refuge was re-opened as Lourdes Hospital in 1929 but then moved to Greenbank Road in July 1943 following damage that had occured during the war.
From then on a number of phases of building and extension work were carried out on the Lourdes Hospital in order to improve the facilities. These included, from 1969-72, works including new patients’ rooms, consulting rooms, matron’s office, accommodation for a resident doctor, reception, book-keeper’s office, and nurses’ home; in 1981 a new operating theatre, laboratory and consulting rooms; in 1984 the conversion of St Bernadette’s nurses’ home into a convalescent home; and from 1990-4 the erection of a new 16-bed unit, a chapel/physiotherapy building, laundry, out-patients’ department and x-ray department.
Today the hospital has 38 beds and is currently described as being ‘at the very forefront of medical diagnosis and treatment on Merseyside’. Spire Liverpool Hospital continues the facility’s reputation for quality of care. The hospitals history for growth and development is continued with the opening of the new Spire Formby Clinic.