What is extracorporeal shock wave therapy (ESWT)?
ESWT is an exciting new non-invasive procedure carried out in our out-patients department. No anaesthetic, medication or surgery is required.
"Fewer potential complications and a faster return to normal activity”
The sound waves promoted during the treatment stimulate healing for many physical disorders including plantar fasciitis, achilles tendonitis and shoulder calcification.
How does ESWT work?
- A shockwave is generated in the hand piece
- The shockwave is delivered to the tissue via a compressed air impulse exerted by the hand piece
- The shockwave radiates out, extending to the entire area where pain occurs
- Usually no more than 3-4 sessions are needed
- Per session : approximately 2500 impulses at 2.5 bars and 4000 impulses for trigger point treatment
- No anaesthetic is required
- No surgery or other therapy is required and treatment can usually start straight away
- Tennis elbow - painful inflammation of the tendon attachment on the lateral elbow
- Shoulder tendinopathy especially calcific Tendinitis - painful limitation of shoulder movement due to calcification
- Golfer’s elbow - painful inflammation of the tendon attachment on the medial elbow
- Painful trigger points - acute and chronic pain in the back, shoulder, neck etc due to permanently shortened and thickened muscles
- Jumper’s knee (patellar tendinopathy) - inflammation of the point of attachment of the patellar ligament
- Shin splints - inflammation of the tibial edge due to excessive strain
- Achilles tendinopathy - painful irritation of the Achilles tendon
- Plantar fasciitis (heel) - painful, mostly chronic inflammation of the plantar fascia
- Chronic enthesopathies - painful irritation of tendon attachments due to overexertion or improper strain, or due to degenerative processes
At Spire Harpenden Hospital we use the Swiss Dolorclast ESWT machine - what’s the advantage?
- No anaesthesia
- Non invasive
- No medication
- No surgery
- Fast treatment – 30 minutes per session, 3-4 sessions required
- Fewer complications
- Virtually painless after treatment
- Speedy recovery and quick results
“ESWT offers two main advantages over traditional surgical methods: fewer potential complications and a faster return to normal activity.”