What's up doc - Women's health

‘What’s Up Doc’ is a health column in association with The Crawley Observer, which gives you the opportunity to ask questions regarding general health and wellbeing.

Answers are provided weekly from our specialist consultants at Spire Gatwick Park Hospital, Surrey. If it’s a long-standing illness or simply a worry which you would like to get off your mind then we would like to help.

This question appeared in The Crawley Observer, to readers across Surrey and Sussex. The question and answer is below, as it appeared in the newspaper.

Read the response by Mr Matthew Long, consultant gynaecologist:


I am female and 35 years old with Turner Syndrome, and I would like to find out about a Hysterectomy, as I am having constant problems in this area. Thanks.


Dear Reader, thank you for your question and in order to give more specific advice I really require some more information. The reason for this is that women with Turner’s Syndrome do not have periods because their ovaries are not able to function normally.  This means that they are not able to conceive naturally as the ovaries do not produce eggs, this is called primary ovarian failure.  As a result it is very rare that women with Turner’s Syndrome require a hysterectomy. 

Most women with Turner’s Syndrome initially are assessed in a specialist centre in order to manage their condition. Most will start hormone replacement therapy (HRT) as this will help their development when a teenager and maintain their health afterwards.  HRT can be stopped about the age of 50 years of age but this decision will be personalised depending on each woman’s individual situation. 

If there are problems with bleeding on HRT then these can be usually resolved by modifying the HRT medications.  Additionally, there are other treatments for bleeding such as using a Mirena IUS (a type of intra-uterine device similar to a “coil”).  If bleeding problems continue then there are more simple surgical treatments than hysterectomy, such as a heat therapy to the lining of the womb called an endometrial ablation.  The ongoing management of HRT or managing problematical bleeding can usually be done at a local unit such as the Spire Gatwick Park Hospital. I hope this is of some help.

Do you need an appointment?

Mr Matthew Long, consultant gynaecologist offers appointments at Spire Gatwick Park on Monday & Friday, to book an appointment call 01293 778 906 or email  info@spiregatwick.com.

 Find out more about our service at Spire
 Gatwick Park Hospital

Find a treatment, test or scan available at:


Find a consultant

Use one or more of the options below to search for a consultant and link through to view their Spire profile.


Let us help you

fill out this form and we will get back to you:

Please select a hospital

We can call you

Please enter your details below and we will call you back.

What is the aim of your enquiry?

Please select a hospital

If we are unable to reach you by phone, please include your email address so that we can get in touch...

Ask us your question

Email: whatsupdoc@spirehealthcare.com

Twitter: @SpireGatwick

Facebook: Spire Gatwick Park Hospital

© Spire Healthcare Group plc (2016)