What's up doc - urology

‘What’s Up Doc’ is a health column in association with The Crawley Observer, which gives you the opportunity to ask questions regarding general health and wellbeing.

Answers are provided weekly from our specialist consultants at Spire Gatwick Park Hospital, Surrey. If it’s a long-standing illness or simply a worry which you would like to get off your mind then we would like to help.

This question appeared in The Crawley Observer on Wednesday 3 April 2013, to readers across Surrey and Sussex. The question and answer is below, as it appeared in the newspaper.

Read the response by Mr Michael Swinn, consultant urological surgeon:


Dear Spire, I found a small lump in one testicle 2 weeks ago, obviously this is worrying me – I haven’t told my partner either and is already causing our relationship a lot of stress. It’s not happened to anyone in my family as far as I know…But what could it possibly be? Obviously I am thinking of the worst. What would be the treatment for this? Thanks. J, Horley.


Hi J, the answer is that all lumps in the testicle should be examined and investigated by a urologist in a hospital setting so that a proper diagnosis can be made and appropriate, prompt treatment delivered.

Frequently these areas turn out to be related to the epididymis (the tube which takes sperms away from the testis) rather than the testis and if this is the case a course if antibiotics normally resolves the problem.

Alternatively, there might be an infection in the testis itself and again antibiotics are prescribed to resolve the situation.  But the first step is to be referred to see a urologist in a hospital so that more serious diagnoses such as cancer of the testis can be excluded.

Do you need an appointment?

 Mr Michael Swinn, consultant urologist offers
 appointments at Spire Gatwick Park
 Hospital Mondays, Thursdays plus ad hoc clinics.
To book an appointment call 01293 778 906 or email

 Find out more about the Spire Gatwick Park 
 urology services

Find a treatment, test or scan available at:


Find a consultant

Use one or more of the options below to search for a consultant and link through to view their Spire profile.


Let us help you

fill out this form and we will get back to you:

Please select a hospital

We can call you

Please enter your details below and we will call you back.

What is the aim of your enquiry?

Please select a hospital

If we are unable to reach you by phone, please include your email address so that we can get in touch...

Ask us your question

Email: whatsupdoc@spirehealthcare.com

Twitter: @SpireGatwick

Facebook: Spire Gatwick Park Hospital

© Spire Healthcare Group plc (2016)