What's up doc - gastroenterology

‘What’s Up Doc’ is a health column in association with The Crawley Observer, which gives you the opportunity to ask questions regarding general health and wellbeing.

Answers are provided weekly from our specialist consultants at Spire Gatwick Park Hospital, Surrey. If it’s a long-standing illness or simply a worry which you would like to get off your mind then we would like to help.

This question appeared in The Crawley Observer on Wednesday 24 April 2013, to readers across Surrey and Sussex. The question and answer is below, as it appeared in the newspaper.

Read the response by Dr Sameer Zar consultant physician & gastroenterologist:


Doctor, I am 52 and experiencing a strange pain in the stomach area, especially after eating. This has been going on for a few weeks now - I am also feeling sick, off food (loss of appetite). I am quite worried as I looked online and seen that it could be quite bad. I hope you can help me find out what it could possibly be and what would be the treatment? Simon, Surrey.


Hi Simon, abdominal pain is a common complaint affecting up to half of the adult population.  In majority of patients the cause is usually benign and is self-limiting but at the same time it may indicate a serious underlying condition. This is particularly true for individuals over the age of 50 years as the risk of cancer is much higher in the older age group.

It is important to contact your general practitioner if the symptoms are of recent onset and are persistent. Any recent change in longstanding symptoms should also be investigated. Differential diagnosis of abdominal pain is broad. Your GP will obtain a detailed history including any use of anti-inflammatory medication and will carry out a physical examination to assess your condition. He is likely to arrange screening blood tests and may give you a short trial of medication. Certain clues in your history such as weight loss, vomiting, difficulty in swallowing, lump in the abdomen, jaundice or change in bowel symptoms will alert your doctor to refer you to a gastroenterologist for urgent investigations. Abnormal blood tests and a family history of stomach or bowel cancer are also further considerations.

When you see your consultant he will assess all the available information and is likely to arrange specialised investigations including endoscopic (camera) examination of the stomach and/or bowel and ultrasound or CT scan of the abdomen to make a diagnosis. Recent advances in the field of medicine means that many more patients can now receive treatment. However, it is important that if a cancer is suspected the diagnosis is established as soon as possible because a favourable outcome of treatment depends on catching the disease at an early stage. I hope this helps.

Do you need an appointment?

 Dr Sameer Zar consultant physician &
 gastroenterologistoffers appointments at Spire
 Gatwick Park on Friday.
To book an appointment call 01293 778 906 or email

 Find out more about our gastroenterology services at Spire Gatwick Park Hospital.

Find a treatment, test or scan available at:


Find a consultant

Use one or more of the options below to search for a consultant and link through to view their Spire profile.


Let us help you

fill out this form and we will get back to you:

Please select a hospital

We can call you

Please enter your details below and we will call you back.

What is the aim of your enquiry?

Please select a hospital

If we are unable to reach you by phone, please include your email address so that we can get in touch...

Ask us your question

Email: whatsupdoc@spirehealthcare.com

Twitter: @SpireGatwick

Facebook: Spire Gatwick Park Hospital

© Spire Healthcare Group plc (2016)