What is Extracorporeal shock wave therapy (ESWT)?
The new pain therapy method
ESWT is an exciting new non-invasive procedure carried out in our Out-patients department. No anaesthetic, medication or surgery is required. Once you have been referred by your GP treatment can start almost immediately after assessment by the consultant.
The sound waves promoted during the treatment, stimulate healing for many physical disorders including plantar fasciitis, achilles tendonitis and shoulder calcification. ESWT has been reviewed by NICE (National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence), and its introduction at Spire Elland Hospital has been approved by our Medical Advisory Committee.
At Spire Elland Hospital we use the Swiss Dolorclast ESWT machine - what’s the advantage?
“ESWT offers two main advantages over traditional surgical methods: fewer potential complications and a faster return to normal activity.” FDA
- no anaesthesia
- non invasive
- no medication
- no surgery
- fast treatment – 30 minutes per session, 3-4 sessions required
- fewer complications
- virtually painless after treatment
- quick recovery and quick results
How does ESWT work?
- A shockwave is generated in the hand piece
- The shockwave is delivered to the tissue via a compressed air impulse exerted by the
- The shockwave radiates out, extending to the entire area where pain occurs
- Usually no more than 3-4 sessions are needed
- Per session : approximately 2500 impulses at 2.5 bars and 4000 impulses for trigger
- No anaesthetic is required
- No surgery or other therapy is required and treatment can usually start straight away.
If you have private medical insurance, speak to your insurance company as many
treatments are covered by your insurance.
If you wish to pay for your own treatment, we have fixed prices for a single treatment or
packages of 3 treatments. The number of treatments you will need will be agreed with
you in advance by your consultant. Please contact us on 01422 324069 for prices.
At Spire Elland Hospital we also have a fully equipped Physiotherapy department with gymnasium staffed by fully accredited charted physiotherapists for more information about these services please call our physio deparment on 01422 324080.
For more information or to book an appointment please contact our customer services team on 01422 324069 or email firstname.lastname@example.org