ALISON CRAWSHAW RGN, BSc, ENB216
She has worked as a Clinical Nurse Specialist in Stoma Care and Bowel Dysfunction for over 30 years and has provided this service to NHS Lothian until 2012 when she took early retirement. She has just completed 5 years as Chairperson of the World Council for Enterostomal Therapy UK which is the national professional organisation for Stoma Care Nurse Specialists. She is Nurse Liaison for the Ileostomy and Internal Pouch Support Group. She has presented papers at many national and international conferences as well as having papers on stoma care and bowel management accepted for publication.
Her main interests are gardening, entertaining and travel as well as family, especially grandchildren.
An expert stoma care nursing service is provided for patients pre, peri and post operatively by an experienced and highly qualified Stoma Care Nurse Specialist. The service provides:-
- Pre-operative assessment, stoma siting and information giving.
- Post-operative supervision of stoma care whilst providing an individual stoma care plan which is tailored to the patient’s needs and individual circumstances.
- Preparation for discharge so that patients are able to leave hospital safely as soon as they are well enough and that they have the skills they need to manage their stoma and on-going supplies of appliances and accessories once home.
- On-going support through follow-up arrangements which may include onward referral to a local Stoma Care Nurse Specialist if required.
- Follow up outpatient clinic appointments if required.
This Out-patient service is provided by an experienced and highly qualified specialist nurse who will provide:-
- An individual bowel management plan
- Support and information regarding bowel function.
- Practical advice and self-help measures to improve bowel function.
- Telephone or/and clinic follow-up.
- Regular progress reports to both patient’s GP and referring consultant.