Spire Healthcare has recently completed the acquisition of the well-established London Fertility Centre. The acquisition comes just after the launch of IVF Scotland – a comprehensive fertility service at the new Spire Shawfair Park Hospital in Edinburgh.
Dr Fergus Macpherson, Spire’s National Head of Pathology, has been appointed to oversee the London Fertility Centre; he says the fragmented fertility market offers significant opportunities.
“The fertility business has shown steady growth and demographic changes suggest this will continue going forward, however Spire plans to build on it significantly by growing the core London and satellite markets.”
“Opening satellite fertility services, with support from the London Fertility Centre and IVF Scotland, is expected to drive growth in general gynaecology volumes in our hospitals. The premises on Harley Street also give Spire a central London presence and we will have scope for offering services beyond fertility from our base there.”
London Fertility Centre offers comprehensive assisted conception treatment services including preimplantation genetic screening and diagnosis (PGS and PGD), gamete donation and surrogacy treatment services, and operates its own donor sperm bank. It opened state-of-the-art laboratory and treatment facilities in September 2008 and is run by a team of dedicated, high calibre staff.
London Fertility Centre:
- Founded in 1990, London Fertility Centre (LFC) is one of the most comprehensive and long-standing providers of assisted conception treatments in the UK
- LFC's team have pioneered treatments now used routinely in assisted conception worldwide – the UK's first intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) birth, world's first percutaneous epididymal sperm aspiration (PESA) birth, UK's first egg donation birth
- LFC remains at the forefront of developments being licensed by the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority by providing preimplantation genetic screening and diagnosis (PGS and PGD) treatment services using the novel Comparative Genomic Hybridisation (CGH) diagnostic method
- Success rates and quality of care have increased since LFC opened a new state-of-the-art treatment premises in September 2008
- For more information, please visit: www.lfc.org.uk
This timely acquision will benefit Spire Dunedin Hospital as Consultant Mr Alex Swanton joined the team recently this year. Mr Swanton has a keen interest and speciallism in fertility, and the acquision of the London Fertility centre will strength the work he is able to complete.