Spire Cardiff Hospital is approved by the Department of Immigration (DIAC) to provide visa examinations for people planning to visit or live in Australia and Canada.
All of the required components of the examination, including Panel Doctor Consultation, blood tests and chest X-ray can be carried out at the same appointment in our X-ray department.
All the information from your examination is processed electronically using DIAC’s medical processing system – eMedical.
To start this process please go to:
For Australia – www.immi.gov.au
For Canada – www.cic.ga.ca
Select the online services tab, this will prompt you to record your medical history, consent to using eMedical and download a referral letter which will contain a health identifier (HAP ID) for each applicant. This HAP number indicates to us what components of the examination needs to be carried out.
Please ensure that you print off a referral letter for each attendee.
How do I make an appointment for a visa health examination?
Call our X-ray department on 029 2054 2760 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
When calling please have the following details ready for each attendee:
- Your HAP ID reference number
- Name, address, date of birth and contact telephone number
- GP details
- Credit or debit card number and expiry date to secure the booking
Important notes regarding your appointment – please read
We would advise you to thoroughly check the medical requirements of your visa application before your appointment, as we are unable to act in an advisory capacity.
What to bring to the appointment;
- A valid passport for identification – without this we are unable to proceed with the examination
- Any documentation relating to any known medical condition – this will avoid delays in your examination results being submitted
- Any prescription glassess or contact lens that you may wear
- Previous chest x-rays (if applicable)
- Referral letter for each attendee
During the appointment:
- A urine sample will be required for all applicants over 5 years old, so you should drink plenty of water in advance of your appointment.
- We will take a digital photograph of each attendee which is attached to the eMedical system.
- As part of the medical, a blood test will be carried out for applicants over the age of 15 years
After your appointment
The examination results take approximately 5-7 days to be processed here and will then be submitted via eMedical to DIAC.
Please note the Panel Doctor does not make the final decision on whether or not you meet the criteria for your visa application. This decision is made by DIAC following an assessment of all the information you have provided.
Please log onto your eMedical account to check the status of your examination. Once the Hospital has submitted your examination results, you will need to contact your DIAC case office if you have further queries
Any additional tests that may be required as a result of your examination or on the request of the Australian authorities will incur an extra fee.
A cancellation/reschedule fee of £75.00 per applicant will be charged for any appointment cancellation or rescheduled within 3 working days prior to the appointment.
The full cost of the medical will be charged for any applicant who cancels, reschedules or does not attend on the day.
Payment is due on the day of your appointment; please note we do not accept American Express or cheques.
Visa medicals for Australian citizens from Spire Healthcare
Spire Healthcare is approved by the Australian Government’s Department of Immigration and Citizenship to provide visa medical and radiological (X-ray) examinations for people planning to visit or live in Australia.
This visa health assessment service is currently offered by our approved panel doctors at Spire Cardiff Hospital, Spire Shawfair Park Hospital in Edinburgh, Spire Hartswood Hospital in Essex, Spire Manchester Hospital and Spire Little Aston Hospital in Birmingham.
Visa medicals, X-rays and blood tests can all be arranged and performed at the same appointment.
All our centres are eMedical clinics which means we can process your health examination online. This simple format means that your Australian Visa Medical examination results are processed electronically, providing a quicker Visa turn-around than traditionally-handled paper copies.
For more information from the Australian government on health examinations for visa applicants, click here.
How do I make an appointment for an Australian visa health examination?
Appointments with our panel doctors for medicals and X-rays can be made by telephoning your nearest Spire Healthcare Hospital (Edinburgh Shawfair Park, Cardiff, Hartswood Essex, Manchester or Little Aston Birmingham).
When calling, please have the following details ready:
- Your client identifier, known as a HAP ID or Health Request. These identifiers allow us to access your case in eMedical.
- GP Details for each of the attendees.
- Next of kin details for each of the attendees (for Spire registration purposes)
Before you come to your Medical
Please complete the following by accessing your eMedical case online using your HAP ID.
- Your medical history
- Consent to using eMedical
- Answer any additional questions that are listed
- Download and print your referral letter
If you have not yet lodged your visa application, you can use My Health Declaration to complete your medical history online.
What to bring to the examination:
- A valid passport - without this we are unable to proceed with the medical
- A ‘Health Examination Referral Letter’
- Any prescription glasses or contact lenses that you may wear
- Where you have a known medical condition, any existing specialist reports
- Previous chest X-rays (if applicable)
Important notes regarding your appointment - please read
- We advise that you thoroughly check the medical requirements of your visa application. We are unable to act in an advisory capacity.
- As part of the health examination a blood test may be carried out.
- A urine sample may also be required, so you should drink plenty of water in advance of your appointment.
- Women should avoid booking an appointment during menstruation as this may taint the sample.
- Additional blood or urine tests may be required, depending on your intended activities in Australian or if abnormal findings are detected during the examination. These tests will incur an extra fee.
- A cancellation fee of £75 will apply if an appointment is cancelled within 3 working days. If you cancel your appointment on the day or you fail to attend, you will incur the full cost of the medical.