New genetic testing service at Spire Cardiff Hospital
A first in private sector genetic testing now at Spire Cardiff Hospital
In collaboration with GeneHealth UK, Spire Cardiff Hospital launches a UK private sector first in next generation frequencing genetic testing
Although the service is open to all, it is recommended for high-risk patients such as anyone diagnosed with cancer at a young age or diagnosed with more than one cancer, the Jewish community and anyone with a strong family history of the disease.
The test itself is a blood test, and the patient will receive the results in eight to 16 weeks, depending on the sequence of genes tested at a consultation with the genetic counsellor, where further management is discussed depending on results to discuss their options. Once the patient receives the results, they are able to plan any possible next steps based on the outcomes. In some cases this may mean preventative surgery, in others enhanced screening is recommended.
The tests offered:
- BowelGene is a genetic test for bowel cancer
- BreastGene is a genetic test for breast cancer
- BRCA 1 and 2 is a genetic test for breast cancer and ovarian cancer
- ProstateGene is a genetic test for prostate cancer
- BRCA 1 & 2: £1,300 including two hours of counselling, reporting time 4-6 weeks
- Ashkenazi Jewish Mutation test: £820 including two hours of counselling, reporting time 2-3 weeks
- Single site mutation test (predictive testing): £720, including two hours of counselling reporting time 2-3 weeks
- BowelGene, BreastGene, OvarianGene and ProstateGene: £1,500 including two hours of counselling, reporting time 10 weeks
- Pre-conception: £850 including counselling, reporting time 4-5 weeks
- Genetic counselling: £150 per hour
About GeneHealth UK
GeneHealth UK is the leading UK provide of private genetic testing and offers face-to-face consultation at a growing number of clinics and over the phone. All genetic tests are offered by genetic counsellors with pre and post test counselling using state-of-the-art testing facilities.
Services are available as self-pay and, for selected indications, some insurance companies will cover the testing.
GeneHealth UK is part of International HealthScreen Technologies Ltd. offering the largest range of early detection of cancer services in the UK and overseas.
www.GeneHealthUK.com - 0800 331 7177