At Spire Bushey Hospital in Hertfordshire we offer various investigations carried out by our highly experienced cardiac staff. Our friendly, professional team will ensure you receive excellent care that encompasses not only what you would expect from our consultant cardiologists, but also the attention of our highly experienced physiologists and our support team.
Our work in the Cardiac Centre comprises respiratory investigations and cardiac investigations and assessments
The clinic is available for people who are concerned about their health as well as those already diagnosed with a heart condition. You can self-refer for some tests, or contact us once you have a referral letter from your GP. Our work in this clinic comprises respiratory investigations and cardiac investigations and assessments. These investigations include:
- Blood tests - cholesterol (full lipid screen), glucose (diabetes check). Testing should be followed with an appointment for test results and advice
- Blood pressure monitor - 15-minute appointment suitable for anyone wishing to regularly check their blood pressure
- 24-hour blood pressure monitor
- Cardiac CT scan
- 12 Lead ECG (electrocardiogram) - 20-30 minute appointment, including cardiologist review of ECG results. An ECG measures the electrical activity of your heart as you lay on an examination couch. Ten electrodes are placed on your wrists, ankles and chest as you relax. The electrodes are connected to a machine recording all the electrical signals from your heart. Analysis of the results can indicate any damage to the heart muscle. The test may also detect changes in heart rhythm as well as abnormalities in the signals themselves
- 24-hour and/or 48-hour ECG Tape
- 5 Day ECG Tape
- Echocardiogram (3D and non-3D)
- Contrast echocardiogram
- Stress echocardiogram - these ultrasound tests use a special microphone placed on the chest wall. This produces a "radar"-type picture of the heart. The echo is a way of assessing the heart mechanism. This test takes between 30-35 minutes.
- Exercise stress echocardiogram - Similar to a stress echocardiogram, however the heart rate is increased through exercise and not pharmacological intervention.
- Event recorder
- Heart health assessment - 90-minute appointment including blood tests and consultant review of ECG
- Full lung function test
- Pacing check
- Reversibility test
- Routine spirometry
- 6-minute walk test