New genetic testing service launching at Spire Bushey Hospital
A first in private sector genetic testing has launched at Spire Bushey Hospital in collaboration with GeneHealth UK. Next generation sequencing will allow patients to find out their risk of developing breast, bowel, prostate and cervical cancer or being carriers of BRCA 1 and 2 genes.
In collaboration with GeneHealth UK, Spire Bushey Hospital launches a UK private sector first in next generation sequencing genetic testing
Although the service is open to all, it is recommended for high-risk patients such as anyone diagnosed with cancer at a young age or diagnosed with more than one cancer, the Jewish community and anyone with a strong family history of the disease.
The genetic testing service, which is offered at Elstree Cancer Centre in partnership with Spire Bushey Hospital, requires patients to undergo a family history questionnaire and consultation with a genetic counsellor. Based on this, a decision will be made by the genetic counsellor whether or not to recommend a genetic test.
The test itself is a blood test, and the patient will receive the results in eight to 16 weeks, depending on the sequence of genes tested at a consultation with the genetic counsellor, where further management is discussed depending on results to discuss their options. Once the patient receives the results, they are able to plan any possible next steps based on the outcomes. In some cases this may mean preventative surgery, in others enhanced screening is recommended.
The tests offered:
- Genetic Counselling - The cost for one hour genetic counsellor consultation is £150 (when no follow up genetic testing is required)
- BowelGene - The cost for BowelGene is £1,500 which includes before and after test counselling.
- BreastGene - The cost for BreastGene is £1,500 which includes before and after test counselling.
- BRCA 1&2 Genetic testing - The cost for BRCA 1&2 testing is £1,300 which includes before and after test counselling.
- ProstateGene - The cost for ProstateGene is £1,500 which includes before and after test counselling.
For more information or to book an appointment, please call 0800 085 6616.