About Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy (ESWT) Bristol
ESWT is a non-invasive procedure carried out in our out-patients department by the Sports and Orthopaedic Clinic (SOC).
An effective treatment for painful joint inflammation that avoids anaesthetic, medication or surgery.
Call 0117 317 1795
No anaesthetic, medication or surgery is required. Once you have been referred by your GP, treatment can start almost immediately after assessment by the consultant.
The sound waves promoted during the treatment stimulate healing for many physical disorders including plantar fasciitis and achilles tendonitis. ESWT has been reviewed by NICE and its introduction at Spire Bristol Hospital has been approved by our Medical Advisory Committee.
Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy Costs
If you have private medical insurance, speak to your insurance company, as many treatments are covered by your insurance. If you wish to pay for your own treatment the price is £190 for an initial consultation and £95 per session, with a minimum of 3 sessions needed.
Please contact us on 0117 317 1795 or complete the form on the right-hand side of this page.
At Spire Bristol Hospital we use the Swiss Dolorclast ESWT machine:
What’s the advantage?
- No anaesthesia
- Non invasive
- No medication
- No surgery
- Fast treatment – 30 minutes per session, 3-4 sessions required
- Fewer complications
- Virtually painless after treatment
- Quick recovery and quick results
How does it work?
- A shockwave is generated in the hand piece
- The shockwave is delivered to the tissue via a compressed air impulse exerted by the hand piece
- The shockwave radiates out, extending to the entire area where pain occurs
- Usually no more than 3-4 sessions are needed
- Per session: approximately 2000 impulses at 2.5 bars and 4000 impulses for trigger point treatment
- No anaesthetic is required
- No surgery or other therapy is required and treatment can usually start straight away